Mahuru Māori at your school
Schools are a great environment to share and learn more te reo Māori. By using even a little te reo Māori at school, your fellow staff and students gain confidence and encourage others to give it a go as well. Over the years we’ve seen all sorts of schools embracing the challenge in all sort of ways and we’d love to share your story about how you’re embracing Mahuru Māori at your school.
Send us a short video (ideally a link online), a few photos or a few words to firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll share your story with our Mahuru Māori whānau.
To help you get your school into the swing of things, here’re some great resources you can use:
- Greet people in te reo Māori – see how
- Answer the phone in te reo Māori – see how
- Change your email greetings/signatures to te reo Māori – see how
- Change the radio station to a local iwi radio station – find a station near you
- Post up common phrases the you use in the class, staff room and common places – browse resource library
- Label items in te reo Māori – view label suggestions
Mahuru Māori challenge in the school
Share your reo Māori story for a chance to win your share of $10,000* #mōtereo
- – Record and Share your story starting with the sentence “I speak te reo Māori because..” or “I learn to reo Maori because” (In English or te reo Māori)
- – Upload to your Instagram, Facebook or TikTok using the hashtag #mōtereo and enter.
Share your story, lift up your voice and let us kōrero #mahurumāori #mōtereo
*See entry form for full Terms and Conditions.